Find Books in UCT Libraries
This video explains how the location numbers work.
Books are useful sources of information:
1. Reference Works
The purpose of these sources is to answer short questions, provide background information, and help you find other sources.
- Good starting points for research, particularly in unfamiliar topic areas (disciplinary handbooks, subject encyclopedias)
- Good sources for quick facts, contact information, or statistics (almanacs, directories)
- Good for discovering new vocabularies (dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopedias)
- Provide lists of information sources on a topic (indexes, bibliographies)
- Broad overviews of topics (text books are especially good for this)
- Long enough to explore more ideas in more depth
The CQ University Library (Australia) has published this useful guide, which contains some insights into when to use books, journal articles and websites.